Sumary of Merkel’s political and scientific sides slug it out in swan song presser:
- As she faced a lecture-hall sized auditorium packed with national and international press for the last time in her 16-year chancellorship, there was a sense that the room was simultaneously hearing from two very different people in Angela Merkel.
- Merkel’s training as a quantum chemist has always set her apart from the male lawyers, economists and journalists who held the highest office in German politics before her – as she did not fail to remind her audience on Thursday morning at the last of her annual summer press conferences before she steps down in two months’ time.
- At her worst, as when she turned to the subject of the controversial Nord Stream 2 pipeline between Germany and Russia, Merkel speaks like a scientist about what are political decisions, presenting choices as inevitable procedures.
- Angela Merkel arrives for her annual summer news conference in Berlin.
- ”A true political animal would have used her last big press conference to champion the designated successor who will carry on her legacy, or verbally sabotage his competitors.