Sumary of Negros launches water security program:
- Eugenio Jose Lacson said 25 percent of the total population of Negros Occidental have no access to water supply and 18 percent have no access to sanitation services..
- This concern is pressing as it is further aggravated by water pollution, water-borne disease, climate change and deforestation,”.
- The PIWSP will formulate a local water security roadmap that espouses the development principles and strategies of the Philippine Water Supply and Sanitation Master Plan..
- A memorandum of understanding between the province and USAID was signed last year with the primary aim to achieve water security..
- One of the basis for the water security program is the result of the Climate Risk Assessment conducted by USAID Safe Water Group that showed Bago River Watershed is vulnerable to drought and Malogo River Watershed is vulnerable to flooding and landslide..
- Negros Occidental provincial administrator lawyer Rayfrando Diaz presented the PIWSP at the launching activity..
- Diaz said the hydrologic study conducted by Safe Water will help make informed decisions in the implementation of strategic projects in the province’s watersheds…