Sumary of New variant won’t impact reopening plan:
- A newly discovered COVID-19 variant that has alarmed overseas health experts is unlikely to impact Australia’s vaccine efficacy, according to the federal health minister.
- The latest vaccination figures showed 86.3 per cent of over-16s being fully vaccinated while 92.1 per cent have had their first dose.
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison said while there were many COVID-19 variants that had been detected, the situation was being watched closely.
- “We monitor all of these variants, we note the responses that are made by other countries and we consider those in real time,” Mr Morrison told reporters in Adelaide.
- The health minister said more than 390,000 people have received their booster shots since they became available.