Sumary of New York says UNGA delegates must be vaccinated against COVID-19, angering Russia:
- All diplomats attending the United Nations General Assembly in New York next week will have to provide proof of vaccination, the city government confirmed Wednesday, sparking anger from Russia.
- Delegates must be vaccinated to enter the debate hall, the mayor’s office told the assembly president in a letter dated September 9.For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
- Russia’s ambassador requested an urgent Thursday meeting of the General Assembly to discuss the move.
- Vassily Nebenzia wrote to assembly president Abdulla Shahid Wednesday saying he had been “very much surprised and disappointed” by a letter Shahid wrote to members in which he supported the proof of vaccination requirement.
- “We strongly object that only people with a proof of vaccination should be admitted to the GA hall,” Nebenzia wrote in the letter seen by AFP.
- “New York City strongly encourages universal mask use indoors regardless of vaccination status,” the note added.