Sumary of New York Vaccine Mandates Paused for Teachers, Health Workers Two judges issued orders on Tuesday to block New York officials from enforcing vaccine requirements for teachers and health care workers.:
- 15, 2021 — Two judges issued orders on Tuesday to block New York officials from enforcing vaccine requirements for teachers and health care workers.
- Laurence Love, a state court judge, issued a temporary restraining order to stop New York City’s health department from requiring vaccinations for teachers and education staff, Bloomberg reported.
- Hours earlier, U.S. District Court Judge David Hurd temporarily blocked state officials from requiring vaccinations for health care workers who claim the shot violates their religious beliefs.
- The statewide vaccine mandate for health care workers, which was issued Aug.
- On Tuesday, the governor’s office said the mandate for health care workers is part of the state’s plan to reduce the spread of the more contagious Delta variant, which has led to a surge in COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths nationwide.
- “This order does not suspend the vaccine mandate, but it temporarily bars the Department of Health from enforcing the mandate where individuals have claims for religious exemption,” Hazel Crampton-Hays, the press secretary for Hochul, told Bloomberg in an emailed statement.
- The Medical Society of the State of New York also said it was “greatly dismayed” by the judge’s decision to pause vaccine requirements for health care workers.