Yesterday there were 0 new cases and 0 lost lives reported. 1 active case remains. 7,261 test results were received. More detail: https://t.co/pcll7ySEgz#EveryTestHelps #StaySafeStayOpen #COVID19Vic pic.twitter.com/oENuOjjWca
November 22, 2020
South Australian premier Steven Marshall has reiterated his state is “not out of the woods yet”, a day after one new case of coronavirus was recorded in the community.
The comments follow a decision to lift the state’s Covid-19 lockdown early after authorities learned a key case linked to its emerging cluster out of a quarantine hotel had lied to investigators about working a second job at a pizza restaurant.
Marshall said there are about 4,500 people isolating in the state right now, and that he hopes the “modified restrictions” the state has in place will be lifted on 1 December.
South Australian premier Steven Marshall. Photograph: Kelly Barnes/Getty Images
Asked if he would re-enter lockdown or place trust in contact tracers if he is faced with a similar situation to last week, Marshall told ABC News that South Australia’s one person per two square metre rule – more relaxed than other states – contributed to the lockdown decision.
You don’t get a second chance to stop a second wave. The advice that we received from health was unequivocal. We had to go hard and go early. We didn’t want a second wave.
We didn’t want to have this seeded in South Australia so that we were managing multiple clusters on an ongoing basis until this particular infection actually, if you like, died out.