Sumary of PM shares frustration of those in lockdown:
- Daniel McCulloch and Matt CoughlanAAPCamera IconThe federal government will provide income support for South Australians under COVID restrictions.
- But the prime minister continues to deny the bungled vaccine rollout is responsible for the widespread restrictions.
- “The prime minister insisted total urgency was being applied to the vaccine rollout, despite earlier arguing the national program was “not a race”.
- “We’ve had our problems but we’re getting over them,” the prime minister said.
- Coronavirus outbreaks have plunged more than half of Australia into lockdown, sparking calls for more federal support.
- The Morrison government is resisting pressure to reinstate JobKeeper wage subsidies with at least 13.5 million people under heavy restrictions across NSW, Victoria and South Australia.
- Shadow treasurer Jim Chalmers said national wage subsidies, which initially paid out $1500 a fortnight before being scaled back, were proven to work.
- “JobKeeper had its problems but it also had very important features which the government has stupidly junked,” he said.