Sumary of Police set up checkpoint at Rookwood Cemetery and turn away group of mourners from funeral:
- Police set up checkpoints at a Sydney cemetery on Wednesday after receiving a tip-off about a funeral.
- But police said no rules were breached, and only people who were permitted to attend the service were allowed in.
- “Officers from Auburn Police Area Command received information regarding a funeral being held at Rookwood Cemetery yesterday,” NSW Police said in a statement.
- 2GB host Ben Fordham said it was “lucky” police stopped people from going in because they would have otherwise been liable for big fines.
- “They’re lucky the police did get a tip-off and set up the checkpoints, otherwise 100 people would have been in there,” he said.