Sumary of Quebec extends lockdown in COVID-19 hot spots, brings back 8 p.m. curfew for Montreal, Laval:
- Quebec Premier François Legault announced an extension of emergency measures in the cities of Gatineau, Lévis, Quebec City, as well as the Beauce region, after a spike in new COVID-19 cases..
- Of 1,609 new cases, Quebec City registered the biggest jump with 436 infections reported on Thursday, almost double the 250 cases recorded on Wednesday..
- Non-essential businesses and schools have been closed in Quebec City, Lévis and Gatineau since last week, and the overnight curfew in those cities was moved ahead to 8 p.m..
- Legault said that while the area had not seen an explosion of cases, the high population density makes it more vulnerable in terms of the virus spreading more easily..
- Legault said the Eastern Townships could be bumped up from an orange zone to the maximum alert level if the number of cases continues to increase..
- Public health director Dr. Horacio Arruda also said that people in red and orange zones would now be required to wear masks outdoors if they are taking part in activities with people outside their family bubble…