Sumary of Queen’s birthday list honours key figures in UK Covid vaccine drive:
- Key figures in the battle against Covid-19 and Britain vaccine success have been rewarded in the Queen birthday honours list, with vaccines taskforce chair Kate Bingham getting a damehood..
- CBEs are awarded to Ian McCubbin, the manufacturing expert on the vaccine taskforce, and Mark Proctor, global supply strategy director at AstraZeneca..
- Another taskforce member, Divya Chadha Manek, receives an OBE for her work overseeing the clinical trials for different Covid-19 vaccines..
- In education, there are knighthoods for Hamid Patel, the chief executive of one of the country largest school trusts, Star Academies, and Philip Augar, who chaired the government review of tertiary education..
- The youngest recipient is Amika George, 21, whose online campaign calling for an end to period poverty led to the UK government funding free period products for schools and colleges across England, and who receives an MBE..
- Also honoured are friends Clegg Bamber and Anna Miles, who receive MBEs for their Red Box Project, which also helps young people to access free period products..
- “From those using their expertise to help develop life-saving vaccines, which are now being rolled out successfully to all parts of the UK, to the people who have given time and energy to care for their communities.”.
- Among political figures, there are damehoods for Meg Hillier, the Labour MP and chair of the public accounts committee, as well as Andrea Leadsom, the Tory MP and former secretary of state for business, energy and industrial strategy…