Sumary of Rapid spread of Delta variant throws Johnson’s hopes of ending lockdown into doubt:
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson hopes of ending England coronavirus lockdown on June 21 hung in the balance on Friday as data showed a further rise in cases of the rapidly spreading Delta variant..
- Johnson is due to announce on Monday whether the planned lifting of restrictions, which would see an end to limits on social contact, can go ahead on time..
- Total British cases of the Delta variant, first identified in India, have jumped by 29,892 to 42,323, Public Health England said on Friday, adding the variant currently accounted for over 90 percent of new COVID-19 cases..
- A top British epidemiologist said on Wednesday that the Delta variant is believed to be 60 percent more transmissible than the previously dominant Alpha variant..
- A widely watched prevalence survey showed that the number of people with COVID-19 was estimated to have risen in the week to June 5, though not as sharply as the week before..
- Johnson has said that an increase in cases was always expected after the most recent stage of lockdown easing in May, but the key to whether Step 4 can proceed on June 21 will be the extent to which Britain vaccine rollout has broken the link between cases and deaths…