Sumary of Restoring our lives to normality after Covid is not the solution, it’s the problem | Jeff Sparrow:
- With the public purse unexpectedly wide open, a new political horizon briefly became visible.
- governments looked at the innovations of 2020 like repentant drinkers queasily recalling the previous night’s revels.
- The binge was over, best forgotten by responsible politicians pledging renewed economic sobriety.
- Except, of course, there was, as the renewed lockdown has shown.
- To put it another way, renewed normality isn’t the solution – it’s the problem.
- As North America swelters and burns, floods sweep thrown towns across western Europe, while a deforested Amazon jungle now emits more carbon than it absorbs.
- In Queensland, politicians have been exulting about the prospects of hosting the 2032 Olympic Games.
- The federal government’s 2021 Intergenerational Report frets about rates of economic productivity four decades from now.