Sumary of SARS-CoV-2 has multifaceted CV involvement, unlike previous coronaviruses:
- September 10, 2021 2 min read Source/Disclosures Published by: Source: Bozkurt B.
- Disclosures: Bozkurt reports consulting for Amgen, Baxter, Bristol Myers Squibb, Relypsa, Sanofi Aventis and scPharmaceuticals, serving on the clinical event committee for a trial sponsored by Abbott and serving on the data safety monitoring committee for a trial sponsored by LivaNova.
- , Chair and medicine chief at DeBakey VA Medical Center and immediate past president of the Heart Failure Society of America, said during her presentation.
- ” Source: Adobe Stock Early reports showed evidence of myocardial injury in 25% to 30% of patients hospitalized for COVID-19, most commonly in patients with preexisting CVD, Bozkurt said, noting elevated levels of biomarkers of cardiac injury such as troponin were associated with mortality.
- “This created a lot of controversy about the safety of returning to sports in people who had COVID-19 infection,” she said, noting that rates in later studies with controls and rigorous diagnostic criteria were lower than in early studies without them.
- There is also evidence of microangiopathy and thrombosis in the setting of SARS-CoV-2 in the vasculature throughout the body.