Sumary of South Africa football coach fears Eriksen repeat after Olympic isolation:
- Coach David Notoane fears the lack of time to acclimatise in hot and steamy Tokyo could put his players at risk.
- “You saw what happened in Euro 2020 when Denmark played,” Notoane said on Tuesday.
- Notoane said he had 17 players at his disposal, and was thankful the game had not been called off.
- Five people have tested positive in the Olympic Village so far, heightening fears that the influx of thousands of athletes, officials and media will add to a spike in cases in Japan.
- But Japan defender Maya Yoshida was unconcerned about facing the South Africans in their tournament opener.
- “I’ve played for the past year in a controlled environment where anyone who tested positive couldn’t play,” said the Sampdoria defender.