Sumary of Spain amends face masks rule on beaches to allow for exemptions:
- On Wednesday, Spain Inter-Territorial Council of the National Health System published a new agreement on the mandatory use of face masks, allowing for some exemptions whilst on the beach or at swimming pools..
- It comes after the Spanish government Official State Gazette (BOE) published a controversial amendment to compulsory face masks on 30 March..
- The amendment, which removed the reference to the 1.5 metre social distance, stated that individuals in public spaces were required to use face masks – regardless of the distance from other people..
- This included the mandatory use of face masks at the beach and swimming pools – a decision which sparked particular opposition from the regional governments..
- In response to the controversy caused by the 30 March amendment, the government readdressed the details surrounding the mandatory use of face coverings in a meeting on Wednesday..
- The amendment to mandatory face masks also includes the ‘moments of rest’ before or after bathing or practising aquatic sports….