Sumary of Statement on the ninth meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee regarding the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic:
- The ninth meeting of the Emergency Committee convened by the WHO Director-General under the International Health Regulations (2005) (IHR) regarding the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic took place on Friday 22 October 2021 from 13:00 to 17:05 Geneva time (CEST).
- Proceedings of the meetingMembers and Advisors of the Emergency Committee were convened by videoconference.
- The Director-General welcomed the Committee and thanked its members and advisers for their support and guidance throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
- He highlighted the importance of the Committee’s work considering the ongoing challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- They were additionally reminded of their duty to maintain the confidentiality of the meeting discussions and the work of the Committee.
- One adviser has been appointed to WHO and will no longer participate in the Committee in his former capacity.
- The Secretariat presented updates on:global epidemiological context and the factors driving transmission;
- anticipated evolution of COVID-19 and forecasted potential future scenarios;ongoing challenge of global COVID-19 vaccine inequity and projections for increasing COVAX Facility vaccine supply;