Sumary of Stocks and oil prices fall as new Covid variant worries markets – business live:
- The World Health Organization will meet on Friday to assess the new variant detected in South Africa that is feared to be the worst Covid-19 variant yet identified.
- WHO to assess new highly mutated Covid-19 variant as countries ramp up health checks A share prices board in Tokyo today Photograph: Yoshio Tsunoda/AFLO/REX/Shutterstock Good morning, and welcome to our rolling coverage of the world economy, the financial markets, the eurozone and business.
- 1.1.529, contains an “extremely high number” of mutations, which could help it evade the body’s immune response, scientists have said.
- Last night, England imposed travel restrictions on six Southern African countries including South Africa, after data presented by South African scientists revealed that the variant also appears to be more transmissible and is already present in provinces throughout the country.
- South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Botswana, Eswatini and Zimbabwe have all been placed on England’s travel red list.
- South Africa to be put on England’s travel red list over new Covid variant What do we know about the new ‘worst ever’ Covid variant?