Sumary of Structural analogs of triterpenoids show strong inhibitory activity against coronaviruses:
- Over a year on since the pandemic first emerged, the race to discover efficient antiviral drugs against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) – the novel pathogen that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) – continues..
- Scientists have tried to repurpose and use existing antiviral drugs in treating SARS-CoV-2 infection, and many drugs approved by the FDA have been tested against SARS-CoV-2..
- Triterpenes, their structural analogs, and their biological activities Several trials have, in parallel, focused on the anti-SARS-CoV-2 activity of natural extracts, synthetic compounds, and immunomodulatory agents..
- Triterpenes are natural substances that are subject to a large number of studies due to their therapeutic, biological, and industrial value..
- Triterpenes and their structural analogs show various biological effects, including hypocholesterolimic, hemolytic, anti-inflammatory, immunostimulant, antiparasitic, antimicrobial, cytotoxic, and anti-ulcer effects..
- Additionally, they also show antiviral activities against hepatitis B and C viruses, HIV1 and 2 viruses, and Herpes simplex virus..
- Oleanolic acid and maslinic acid and their antiviral activities Oleanolic acid and maslinic acid are triterpenoids present in several plants and have several interesting biological activities, including anticancer, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory effects..
- It has undergone several chemical modifications in recent decades to synthesize new structural analogs with favorable biological activities….