Sumary of Study reveals role of globalization and zoonosis in the emergence and spread of SARS-CoV-2 variants:
- Study: Analysis of SARS-CoV-2 variants from 24,181 patients exemplifies the role of globalisation and zoonosis in pandemics.
- com The different national curves of COVID-19 cases Different epidemic patterns brought about by SARS-CoV-2 have been observed in different countries around the world.
- This surge in cases was thought to correspond with the emergence of new genotypes of SARS-CoV-2. Classifying SARS-CoV-2 variants Next-generation sequencing studies led to the detection of various SARS-CoV-2 lineages that had different genetic, clinical, and epidemiological characteristics.
- The classification and naming of these different lineages are required to communicate about them.
- However, the naming of SARS-CoV-2 variants was difficult due to several reasons.
- Secondly, an association between SARS-CoV-2 exists with other animal reservoirs, especially minks.
- Some of the SARS-CoV-2 specific naming systems include Nextstrain, GISAID, Pangolin, and World Health Organization.
- Although these systems are useful, they are not helpful in providing information on local genetic trends and correlating the epidemiological and clinical characteristics with its genotypic patterns.