Sumary of Study suggests honey and Nigella sativa expedites viral clearance in COVID-19 patients:
- The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has impacted over 50 million people so far and has claimed more than 1.25 million lives globally..
- Although certain treatments such as hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, dexamethasone, remdesivir, antibody therapies, and convalescent plasma have shown some efficacy, an effective treatment to fight severe COVID-19 is still not a reality..
- Since previous studies show that both components of HNS have proven anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, and immune-modulatory effects, the researchers wanted to assess the efficacy of HNS in fighting COVID-19..
- In addition to its immunity-boosting effects that stimulate innate as well as adaptive immune responses, honey has been shown to be beneficial in fighting upper respiratory tract infections..
- In vitro studies have shown that it can decrease the replication of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV)..
- Of the 313 patients, part of the study cohort, 210 patients with moderate symptoms and 103 with severe COVID-19 underwent randomization..
- Related Stories The study results show that HNS helped with symptoms alleviation and viral clearance and reduced mortality in patients with moderate and severe disease…