Sumary of Summer cold season is worse than ever after a year of masking and social distancing:
- Social distancing and mask guidelines put in place due to the COVID-19 pandemic inadvertently prevented the spread of germs and bacteria.
- ‘If you’ve not had those exposures, your immune system may be a little slower to respond or doesn’t respond as fully, leading to greater susceptibility to some respiratory infections and sometimes longer or more protracted symptoms.
- ‘ Cases of influenza, rhinovirus and other common viral infections floored last year.
- Common colds and the flu – which are caused by respiratory viruses – were almost non-existent in 2020 as they had little chance to spread from person-to-person.
- Cases are already on the rise now that pandemic related restrictions are being lifted, though.
- Texas, the first state to fully reopen back in March, saw a surge in respiratory viruses almost immediately after lifting pandemic mandates.
- The cases of RSV and other types of the flu are more serious than before as well, with many suffering stronger symptoms that are lasting longer than infections in previous years.
- ‘There’s usually a degree of pre-existing immunity due to the previous winter.