Sumary of Surfaces can be designed with antiviral properties to mitigate COVID-19:
- An optimally designed surface will make a viral load decay rapidly, rendering it less likely to contribute to the spread of viruses..
- “In terms of physics, the solid-liquid interfacial energy is enhanced by a combination of our proposed surface engineering and augmenting the disjoining pressure within the residual thin film, which will speed drying of the thin film,”.
- The researchers were surprised to discover that the combination of a surface’s wettability and its physical texture determine its antiviral properties..
- While previous studies reported antibacterial effects by designing superhydrophobic (repels water) surfaces, their work indicates antiviral surface design can be achieved by surface hydrophilicity (attracts water)..
- The researchers discovered that surfaces with taller and closely packed pillars, with a contact angle of around 60 degrees, show the strongest antiviral effect or shortest drying time…