Sumary of Suu Kyi hit by graft, illegal payment raps:
- The Myanmar junta has hit deposed civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi with corruption charges over claims she accepted illegal payments of gold and more than half a million dollars in cash, state media reported on Thursday..
- The country has been in turmoil since the generals ousted Suu Kyi on February 1 with nearly 850 civilians killed in a brutal crackdown by security forces on near-daily protests against the coup..
- The 75-year-old Nobel laureate, who has been in custody since the coup, is facing a raft of wide-ranging criminal charges, including sedition and breaching a colonial-era secrecy law..
- Myanmar has been in uproar since Suu Kyi and her National League for Democracy (NLD) government were ousted in a February 1 coup with near-daily protests and a nationwide civil disobedience movement..
- Suu Kyi will also appear in a separate trial slated to begin on June 15 where she is charged with sedition alongside ousted president Win Myint and senior NLD leader Dr. Myo Aung, the lawyer said….