Sumary of The Lambda Coronavirus Variant Was Just Found in a Houston Hospital:
- The delta coronavirus variant is still responsible for most COVID-19 cases in the U.S., but the lambda variant is now also causing concern.
- First identified in Peru, the lambda variant was just detected at a Houston hospital.
- Houston Methodist Hospital network, which includes a large system of hospitals and care centers in Texas, confirmed its first case of COVID-19 attributed to the lambda variant this week, ABC News reports.
- The hospital system had more than 100 COVID-19 patients over the last week, the majority of whom were not vaccinated, ABC says.
- Although the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not list lambda on its variant tracker right now, the World Health Organization recently dubbed lambda a variant of interest.
- Lambda was also identified in other South American countries, including Chile, Ecuador, and Argentina.
- The case in Houston is one of about 730 lambda cases recorded in the U.S. so far, according to data from GISAID, which tracks variants globally.