Sumary of The Lambda Variant: What You Should Know And Why Experts Say Not To Panic:
- Mario Tama/Getty Images hide caption toggle caption Mario Tama/Getty Images A medical assistant administers a COVID-19 test last week in Los Angeles.
- Mario Tama/Getty Images While the delta variant of the coronavirus has quickly become the dominant strain in the United States, it’s not the only variant circulating in the population.
- Ernesto Benavides/AFP via Getty Images hide caption toggle caption Ernesto Benavides/AFP via Getty Images A doctor checks a lung X-ray plate while visiting a patient with COVID-19 in Comas, in the northern outskirts of Lima, Peru.
- Ernesto Benavides/AFP via Getty Images The COVID-19 vaccines work well against variants There isn’t yet full data on vaccine effectiveness against the lambda variant.
- But T cells also play a significant role in the body’s immune response, and T cell response isn’t measured in neutralizing antibody clinical tests — meaning that the vaccines could be more effective against the variants than is suggested by tests of antibody response alone.