Sumary of The Latest: Curling worlds back on, now with masked players:
- The curling world championship playoffs resumed Sunday with players wearing masks after taking a day off due to a positive COVID-19 test inside the Calgary bubble..
- The World Curling Federation first announced three positive, asymptomatic results during exit testing on Friday from teams that had not advanced to the playoffs..
- Saturday matches were postponed for further testing, and one player on a playoff team also tested positive and was initially ruled out of the competition..
- But the federation said that it consulted with Canadian health officials and decided to allow the player to compete..
- In a statement issued on Sunday before resuming play with a triple-header, the WCF said the player tested positive on Friday had a follow-up test that was negative on Saturday..
- had previously received a full vaccination — two doses — in his home country prior to the beginning of the championship,”.
- “The facts surrounding this specific individual were argued to be strong enough for a re-evaluation of the earlier decision, after it was determined that it would put his teammates and opponents at a very minimal risk by participating in Sunday playoff games.”.
- In Sunday matches, Switzerland defeated the United States 7-6 in a qualification game to advance to the semifinals against Sweden….