Sumary of The Mexican baseball team is forced to quarantine after two players test positive before trip to Japan.:
- The Mexican national baseball team is in quarantine after two players tested positive for coronavirus ahead of traveling to Japan for the Tokyo Olympics, Mexican baseball federation officials announced.
- Hector Velazquez and Sammy Solis, both of whom are 32-year-old pitchers, were tested on Sunday in Mexico City as the team gathered to begin practice and were asymptomatic and isolating in their hotel rooms, the federation said in a statement.
- As a result, national federation officials said practice on Monday was canceled and the rest of the team was quarantining in its hotel pending results from further testing.
- Over the weekend, players and coaches reported to Mexico City and had begun training ahead of their departure to Japan.
- Mexico’s first game in the Olympics is scheduled for July 30, against the Dominican Republic, at Yokohama Baseball Stadium.
- Solis and Velazquez — both former Major League Baseball players — play for the same team in Mexico’s top professional league.