Sumary of The U.S. is investigating the origins of COVID-19. Here’s what’s known about the probe:
- Experts say the 90-day review ordered on May 26 by President Joe Biden will push American intelligence agencies to collect more information and review what they already have..
- Former State Department officials under President Donald Trump have publicly pushed for further investigation into virus origins, as have scientists and the World Health Organization..
- Biden ordered a review of what the White House said was an initial finding leading to “two likely scenarios,”.
- The White House statement says two agencies in the 18-member intelligence community lean toward the hypothesis of a transmission in nature;.
- One document drawing new attention is a State Department fact sheet published in the last days of Trump administration..
- believes three researchers at a Wuhan, China, lab sought medical treatment for a respiratory illness in November 2019..
- The origin and severity of the staffers’ illness is not known — and most people in China regularly go to hospitals, not primary-care physicians, for routine care..
- David Feith, who served as deputy assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs under Trump, said he supported Biden call for an enhanced review….