Sumary of Third wave sweeps across Africa as Covid vaccine imports dry up:
- African countries face a last-ditch battle against a third wave of Covid infections, as the supply of vaccines to the continent “grinds to a halt”, top health officials have warned..
- There are widespread fears among senior health officials that the continent could suffer similar or worse devastation to that seen in India, which has a more robust health system than many African countries..
- Burkina Faso, which has a population of 20 million, this week received just 115,000 doses from the Covax Facility, while Rwanda and Togo each received about 100,000 Pfizer vaccine doses..
- Infections are also surging in Angola, Namibia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where 32 members of parliament and several aides to the president, Félix Tshisekedi, are among those who have died..
- Prof Jean-Marie Kayembe, a member of DRC anti-coronavirus taskforce, told the UN Radio Okapi that rising numbers of cases and “saturation”.
- Less than one in 40 of the population of sub-Saharan Africa most developed nation have received a jab and excess mortality statistics suggest the actual toll may be two or even three times higher..
- Uganda, which has received only a third of 3m vaccines expected from Covax, recorded a 131% week-on-week rise last week, with infection clusters in schools, rising cases among health workers and isolation centres and intensive care units filling up..
- “We are concerned that this will exhaust available bed space and oxygen supply in hospitals, unless we constitute urgent public health measures,”…