Sumary of Tokyo new virus cases near 2,000 a day before Olympics open:
- TOKYO (AP) — Tokyo hit another six-month high in new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, one day before the Olympics begin, as worries grow of a worsening of infections during the Games.
- 15.Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, who is determined to hold the Olympics, placed Tokyo under a state of emergency on July 12, but daily cases have sharply increased since then.
- The Olympics, delayed for a year by the pandemic, begin Friday.
- Suga’s government has been criticized for what some say is prioritizing the Olympics over the nation’s health.
- In Olympics-related diplomacy, Suga is to meet with U.S. first lady Jill Biden on Thursday and have dinner at the state guest house.
- Earlier in the day, he was visited by World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
- Also Thursday, Emperor Naruhito received a courtesy visit from International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach at the Imperial Palace.