Sumary of Toronto schools ordered to close temporarily due to rising COVID-19 cases:
- Toronto medical officer of health is invoking powers under Ontario law to order all local schools closed for in-person instruction due to rising COVID-19 cases..
- Dr. Eileen de Villa, who oversees the public health department in Toronto, issued a Section 22 order under the Health Protection and Promotion Act to order schools closed as of Wednesday..
- Peel Region medical officer of health ordering schools to close for 2 weeks due to COVID-19 Section 22 orders allow medical officers of health to put in place requirements aimed at slowing the spread of communicable diseases..
- The move came a day after Dr. Lawrence Loh, Peel Region medical officer of health, ordered schools to close until April 18..
- “[Toronto Public Health] will continue to manage risk on a school-by-school basis, taking immediate and appropriate action to address these complex outbreaks,”…