Sumary of Tourism: Hawaii residents’ reaction to rebound from pandemic uncertain:
- With bookings up, it uncertain how island residents will respond to tourism sudden rebound, House Speaker Scott Saiki said Wednesday..
- Saiki referred to a report in Monday Honolulu Star- Advertiser that bookings of short-term vacation rentals — often located in residential neighborhoods — have outpaced hotel bookings every month since October..
- Saiki made his comments Wednesday while announcing that he had requested to kill a bill that he introduced in January that would have mandated statewide travel rules, saying COVID-19 conditions have since changed..
- Saiki said he asked House Finance Committee Chairwoman Sylvia Luke to defer action on Senate Bill 266 when it went before her committee Wednesday..
- The bill is no longer necessary since Kauai has rejoined the state Safe Travels program and COVID- 19 vaccines are more readily available, Saiki said…