Sumary of Travellers warned of up to 10-week wait for British passports:
- Processing British passport applications could take more than three times the usual waiting time as a result of an expected spike in demand, the Home Office has warned..
- The Passport Office is telling travellers to allow up to 10 weeks to receive the document, up from three weeks previously..
- Only about 4 million people applied for a passport in 2020 amid a collapse in overseas travel caused by the coronavirus pandemic..
- This is compared with approximately 7 million during a normal year, suggesting there could be a rush of applications once the ban on holidays is lifted..
- People whose passports are nearly expired will be sent text messages telling them to allow more time when they renew..
- If you have delayed renewing your passport or are applying for the first time, please apply now so you can receive it in good time..
- “This new advice will help to ensure that we continue to meet the travel plans of our customers during any period of the very highest passport demand.”…