Sumary of UK coronavirus variant now reported in all 50 states:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) variant tracker is now reporting that the B.1.1.7 coronavirus variant has reached all 50 states in the U.S..
- As of Monday, the CDC had tallied over 15,500 cases across 52 jurisdictions, far surpassing the 374 B.1351, or South African, variant cases reported in the U.S..
- Florida has seen the highest number of B.1.1.7 cases with over 3,190, while Michigan, which is seeing a spike in illnesses, follows with 1,649 cases..
- Health officials have warned that variants, which have a higher transmissibility than the original strain of COVID-19, pose a threat to the progress gained in the pandemic..
- Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, stopped short of pinning the blame on variants for a recent rise in cases among younger demographics but said they were likely part of the “many moving parts.”.
- Officials predicted the B.1.1.7 variant would become the dominant strain by the end of March in the U.S., which Walensky has said is already the case in at least five regions…