Sumary of UK Covid live: minister says list of critical workers exempt from isolation rules will be limited:
- At the beginning of the pandemic it was very clear that lorry drivers were essential workers, but in this latest advice it’s not clear.
- And another food industry executive told the Today programme this morning that he is telling staff told to isolate by the NHS Covid app to take a test and carry on working if they are negative.
- If they are pinged we ask them to take a PCR test, if that’s positive then clearly they’ll isolate, but if it’s negative we ask them to come back to work and we have a process of doing lateral flow tests daily away from their workplace, and if that’s negative they can proceed with their work.
- We operate in Covid-safe workplaces and we’re absolutely key workers in terms of the supply chain to hospitals, care homes, prisons, and therefore it’s important for us to be able to keep offering that service to our customers.
- As PA Media reports, Selley said 100 staff from around 20 depots across the country were off isolating yesterday, presenting a “real challenge” with deliveries arriving late, or even the next day.
- No 10 said a bit more at lobby on Tuesday, but at PMQs yesterday Sir Keir Starmer said he had read the briefing several times and “I haven’t a clue what it means”.
- 9.30am: The ONS publishes the latest quarterly crime figures for England and Wales.
- 11am: NHS test and trace publishes its latest performance figures.