Sumary of UK Covid live: Zahawi says Covid pass could be compulsory for large events; 618,903 people ‘pinged’ last week:
- And this is what Downing Street said about Boris Johnson’s called with the European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, about the Northern Ireland protocol this morning.
- ) A No 10 spokesman said: The prime minister set out that the way the protocol was currently operating was unsustainable.
- Solutions could not be found through the existing mechanisms of the protocol.
- There is a huge opportunity to find reasonable, practical solutions to the difficulties facing people and businesses in Northern Ireland, and thereby to put the relationship between the UK and the EU on a better footing.
- Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, has reaffirmed the EU’s intention not to renegotiate the Northern Ireland protocol.
- Ursula von der Leyen (@vonderleyen) PM @BorisJohnson called to present the UK Command paper on the Irish/Northern Irish Protocol.
- The EU will continue to be creative and flexible within the Protocol framework.
- We must jointly ensure stability and predictability in Northern Ireland.