Sumary of UK must be prepared for winter Covid wave, Boris Johnson to warn:
- The prime minister’s Covid winter plan will set out “contingency” measures – which could involve the reintroduction of some nationwide restrictions such as social distancing or masks – that would come into force if case numbers and hospitalisations begin to overwhelm the NHS again.
- On Tuesday Johnson is expected to announce his plan for avoiding a full lockdown, including the introduction of Covid boosters and the biggest ever flu jab campaign, to be administered at the same time.
- ”On Friday, 37,622 new Covid cases were reported within 28 days of a positive test, while 1,063 people were admitted to hospital with the virus across the UK and there were 147 coronavirus deaths.
- The source added that the prime minister “desperately wants to avoid having to close anything” and the Covid winter plan was designed to avoid the need for another full lockdown.
- No 10 is hoping the blueprint will appease Tory anti-lockdown rebels, who are already in revolt over the government’s plans to extend emergency Covid powers for another six months, with a vote expected later in September.