Sumary of Unity US’ greatest strength – Biden:
- Heart-wrenching commemorations will unfold at each of the three sites where 19 al-Qaida hijackers – mostly from Saudi Arabia – crashed packed airliners, striking the cultural, financial and political hearts of the United States and changing the world forever.
- Meanwhile, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Saturday issued a statement to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the United States.
- “Today we mark a somber day seared in the minds of millions of people around the world – a day when nearly 3,000 lives from over 90 countries were taken by terrorists in cowardly and heinous attacks in the United States of America.
- Thousands more were injured,” Guterres said in the statement.
- Six moments of silence will be observed, corresponding with the times the two World Trade Center towers were struck, and fell, and the moments the Pentagon was attacked and Flight 93 crashed.
- “We honor the first responders who put themselves in harm’s way, with many making the ultimate sacrifice, exemplifying the very humanity and compassion that terrorism seeks to erase,” Guterres said.