Sumary of Universal nanoparticle platform may help in rapid development of a COVID-19 vaccine:
- The race to find an effective vaccine against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) has assumed a new urgency..
- The effort continues in light of an ongoing resurgence of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic in several parts of the world, where the rates of new infection have spiked once again..
- The SARS-CoV-2 spike protein receptor-binding region (RBD) is a prime target for vaccine development, as it is the crucial zone at which the virus engaged the host cell receptor angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), which in turn facilitates the subsequent membrane fusion that allows the virus to gain entry into and to infect the target cell..
- The three vaccine candidates used self-assembled ferritin NPs, mi3 NP protein, and 153-50 NPs, which form octahedral, dodecameric, and icosahedral particles to which the RBD is linked..
- The SARS-CoV-2 spike protein trimer (Marine blue for chain with up-conformation RBD and grey with down-conformation RBD) (PDB code:.
- Neutralizing Capacity up to 120-Fold Higher Related Stories The researchers found that these vaccines, produced 8-120-fold greater neutralization following the vaccination, compared to the monomeric RBD, when the serum from immunized mice was incubated with either the SARS-CoV-2 pseudovirus and the wildtype virus….