Sumary of Vaccinations More Urgent as Variant That Crippled India Shows Up in the U.S.:
- WEDNESDAY, June 9, 2021 — The highly contagious coronavirus variant that brought India to its knees this spring now accounts for 6 percent of new cases in the United States, the Biden administration said Tuesday..
- To demonstrate the efficacy of vaccines, Fauci referred to data from Britain’s public health agency that shows two doses of the vaccines made by Pfizer and AstraZeneca are 88 percent effective in preventing symptomatic disease caused by the new variant, also known as Delta..
- In Britain, the Delta variant now accounts for more than 60 percent of new infections, he said, and some British scientists are warning that the country now faces the possibility of a third surge, the Post reported..
- Meanwhile, COVID-19 infections are at new lows in the United States, but the virus continues to spread in communities with low vaccination rates, where highly contagious virus variants like Delta threaten those who have not had shots..
- Dr. Ted Delbridge, executive director of the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems, told the Times..
- The variant first found in Britain, now known as Alpha, is deadlier and more contagious than most others and is now dominant in the United States..
- Officials must get a first dose to 4.2 million adults per week to meet Biden’s July 4 goal, the Post reported….