Sumary of Vaccinations rise in some states with soaring infections:
- Vaccinations are beginning to rise in some states where COVID-19 cases are soaring, White House officials said Thursday, and hospitals are running out of space because of the delta variant, which is “spreading with incredible efficiency.
- ”Coronavirus coordinator Jeff Zients told reporters that several states with the highest proportions of new infections have seen residents get vaccinated at higher rates than the nation as a whole.
- Just 36% of Louisiana’s population is fully vaccinated, state health department data shows.
- Aly Neel, a spokesperson for Louisiana’s health department, said the state has seen “a little bump” in vaccinations recently, adding that details would be available Friday.
- Warner Thomas, president and CEO of Ochsner Health, said the system had seen a 10% to 15% increase in people seeking vaccination over the past week or two.
- The state lags about 10 percentage points behind the national average for people who have received at least one shot.
- The surge that began in the southwest part of the state, where some counties have vaccination rates in the teens, has started to spread to the Kansas City area, including at Research Medical Center.
- “I don’t want to keep putting my life on the line just because people don’t want to get vaccinated or listen to what health care professionals are recommending,” lamented Pascaline Muhindura, a registered nurse who has worked on the hospital’s COVID-19 unit for more than a year.