Sumary of Vic ‘on track’ to suppress virus outbreak:
- Health Minister Martin Foley says 16 of the cases were isolating while infectious, and the remaining six pose a low risk to the community as they visited few exposure sites.
- Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said the spike in new cases was concerning, but the fact the majority of cases were self-isolating showed the state was curbing community transmission of the Delta variant.
- Professor Sutton expects most new cases in the coming days will be household contacts of confirmed cases and therefore already in isolation.
- “It is both a more infectious variant, the estimates are that it’s a more severe variant as well,” Prof Sutton said.
- To help soften the blow of the extension, the government is offering an additional $282.5 million in grants to 90,000 businesses.
- Licensed Hospitality Venue Fund grants will increase from $3000 to $7200, while the Business Costs Assistance Program increases from $2000 to $4800.Businesses and sole traders that received support during the fourth lockdown last month will automatically receive the funds to their chosen bank account.