Sumary of Vic records 26 new local COVID-19 cases:
- Benita KolovosAAPCamera IconThe number of active COVID-19 cases in Victoria’s outbreak has risen to 107. Credit: AAPShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail UsCopy the LinkVictoria has recorded 26 new locally acquired cases of coronavirus a week into its statewide lockdown.
- The health department has confirmed Thursday’s new infections are all linked to the current outbreak, which originated in NSW and now totals 133 cases.
- But Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton says he suspects the state would already be dealing with 200 to 300 cases if it had not entered lockdown a week ago, citing the highly infectious nature of the Delta variant.
- “Prof Sutton said he believed community transmission had peaked but expected more household cases to emerge.
- He also warned the number of people in intensive care could grow, given the severity of the delta variant.