Sumary of Victoria Covid update: cases reach 10-month high, with 22 new local infections:
- Victoria has recorded its highest number of new daily Covid-19 cases in 10 months, with 22 new cases reported on Wednesday.
- While it is the highest number of new cases since late 2020, the state’s health minister, Martin Foley, expressed optimism that Victoria was getting ahead of the outbreak due to the large number of contacts isolating and lockdown having an impact.
- Foley said the state government’s decision to isolate the secondary contacts of primary close contacts of Covid-19 cases was paying off, with half of the new infections reported on Wednesday being household contacts of primary close contacts.
- “We will get on top of this and we will get back to a Covid-normal life as soon as we possibly can.
- ”Five people with Covid in Victoria are now in hospital, and one from Barwon Heads has been moved into intensive care.
- The state’s industry support minister, Martin Pakula, also announced a further $282.5m in cash grants for businesses affected by Victoria’s latest lockdown, bringing the total support to $484m for this lockdown, and close to $1bn for the last two lockdowns.
- In the first two days of this week, 86,000 businesses were paid either $3,000 through the licensed hospitality venue fund, or $2,000 through the Business Cost Assistance Program.
- The support announced on Wednesday will be an automatic top-up of $4,200 for hospitality, or $2,800 for business cost assistance.