Sumary of Walmart moving to make face masks available for sale across Ontario after some displays taped off:
- In response to social media reports that face mask displays at certain Walmart locations were blocked off as stores moved to adhere to new Ontario government COVID-19 restrictions, a spokesperson tells Global News staff are responding quickly to correct the issue..
- on Thursday, another stay-at-home order and an emergency declaration across the province in response to rising COVID-19 cases, an increased spread of variants of concern cases as well as strained intensive care unit capacity..
- Big-box stores were restricted to selling essential items only for people shopping in-person and capacity caps were imposed..
- Here what Ontario big-box stores look like as new COVID-19 state of emergency takes effect With shoppers who went to big-box stores on Thursday, there were posts on social media from customers who tried to access items that were deemed non-essential that were blocked off..
- Twitter user @Jenn____Long posted Thursday morning, showing pictures of masks behind a rope and clear wrapping..
- Global News contacted representatives for Premier Doug Ford and Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott, who said face masks and coverings should be treated as essential items..
- When asked about the social media postings on Thursday, a Walmart Canada spokesperson said the company is looking into the matter….