Sumary of Wearing an N-95 mask with a poor fit can make you vulnerable to Covid-19: Study:
- Poorly fitting face masks greatly increase the risk of infection from airborne diseases like COVID-19, compared to custom-fitted masks, according to a study..
- Researchers at the University of Cincinnati in the US used CT scans of three different-sized face masks attached to three different-sized dummy heads to measure the gaps between the face and the fabric..
- Banerjee collaborated on the study with his former students, including UC graduate Prasanna Hariharan, the study lead author, who works for the U.S..
- The researchers used three different sized N95 face masks along with three standard mannequin heads identified as small, medium and large..
- From the CT scans, they could create a 3-D computer-aided design model that showed the gaps between the masks and the face on each subject..
- Double mask can also help in averting the penetration of covid-19 The aerosol transport attributed to leaking out the sides of the masks varied from as little as 30 per cent to as much as 95 per cent for the worst-fitting masks….