Sumary of ‘We’re burning pyres all day’: India accused of undercounting deaths:
- As India battles through one of the world deadliest surges of the Covid-19 pandemic, this week India health minister Harsh Vardhan insisted that its fatality rate from the disease remained “the lowest in the world”..
- It was a statement that jarred with the devastating images and accounts that have flowed out of India in the past fortnight, of hospitals and morgues filled to capacity, people dying on pavements from scarcity of oxygen, and crematoriums and graveyards visibly overflowing with bodies..
- Yet health experts widely believe the official daily figures do not come close to reflecting the real number of deaths..
- The allegations of a cover-up have been particularly prevalent in Uttar Pradesh, where the state government is controlled by the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and the hardline chief minister, Yogi Adityanath, has insisted that the state has no shortage of oxygen and threatened to prosecute those who “spread panic”..
- Altaf Qadri/AP A doctor from the Indian Medical Association in Uttar Pradesh, who asked not to be named, said many people were dying from diseases such as pneumonia and lung fibrosis, which they contracted as a result of Covid-19 complications..
- “We accept that the number of dead from coronavirus is much higher than the district administration public data….