Sumary of WHO chief warns that the world is going into the ‘early stages of another wave’:
- Speaking to International Olympic Committee members in Tokyo, Tedros said the global failure to share vaccines, tests and treatments is fueling a “two-track pandemic.
- Tedros Adhanom GhebreyesusDirector-General, World Health Organization”This is not just a moral outrage, it’s also epidemiologically and economically self-defeating,” Tedros said, adding that the longer the pandemic drags on, the more socioeconomic turmoil it will bring.
- ” Tedros added that the global threat of the pandemic will remain until all countries have a handle on the disease.
- Rising Covid-19 cases in Tokyo have overshadowed the Olympics, which banned all spectators from the games this month after Japan declared a state of emergency.
- The first positive Covid-19 case hit the athlete’s village over the weekend and, so far, more than 70 cases have been linked to the Tokyo Games.
- On Wednesday, Tedros said the games are a celebration of “something that our world needs now, more than ever — a celebration of hope.
- “Vaccine discrepanciesTedros criticized the vaccine discrepancies between wealthy and low-income countries.