Sumary of WHO: Europe is only region with increasing COVID deaths:
- health agency said confirmed cases jumped 6% jump globally, driven by increases in the Americas, Europe and Asia.
- It was the seventh consecutive week that COVID-19 cases continued to mount across the 61 countries WHO counts in its European region, which stretches through Russia to central Asia.
- While about 60% of people in Western Europe are fully immunized against COVID-19, only about half as many are vaccinated in the eastern part of the continent, where officials struggle to overcome widespread vaccine hesitancy.
- Within Europe, WHO said the highest numbers of new cases were in Russia, Germany and Britain.
- It noted that deaths jumped by 67% in Norway and by 38% in Slovakia.