Sumary of Why e-commerce is key to Indonesia’s small businesses:
- New research suggests that e-commerce has increased the resilience of Indonesian small businesses in the age of COVID.
- Many emerging market economies are still in the throes of the battle against the COVID-19, despite the advances made with vaccines.
- It is more important than ever to prepare Indonesian micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) to survive and thrive in the context of a disease that may be here to stay.
- Our research suggests that e-commerce may be one way to help Indonesian entrepreneurs do this.
- All had made 30 or more transactions since joining the platform.
- Key findings about e-commerce One of our key findings was that digital merchants have been far more resilient in the COVID-19 pandemic, compared with firms that operate mainly offline businesses.
- Close to 80 percent of the digital merchants surveyed kept their business open throughout 2020 when the pandemic first hit Indonesia in March.
- At this point, most offline firms were still experiencing more than than a 20 percent drop in their year-on-year sales.